onsdag 29. oktober 2014

Gently Rapping At My Chamber Door

But it wasn't a raven. It was a drunk visitor, who at 1.30 a.m. thought it would be fun to knock on girl's doors.
  I'd been listening to him and his friend running up and down the stairs for a while, and I was rather annoyed. For once I didn't sleep with earplugs, and I was regretting it. I thought I heard someone knock om my door, but I ignored it, thinking that it was probably at some neightbour's door. When I heard him knock on the door of the Spanish and the Chinese girl accross the hall, and they started talking, I thought "Faen heller!" and got up to ask them to be quiet. But it didn't seem like the girls were too happy with the late night visit either, and they quickly closed their door when the guy turned his attention to me.
"You alone?"
"Yeah," I said, and he got closer, almost stepping through my doorway, but I pushed him away. I think I told him to go, but he ignored me.
"Where are you from?" he asked, just as I closed (and for once, locked) my door. He didn't seem to happy about it, and tried to open it.
"I'll call the cops!" I told him, but he didn't stop. I suddenly remembered the mail we'd got, giving us the numbers of the people on duty in Pantycelyn this week, and I turned my computer on. Behind me, the guy was still trying to open up the door.
"This is a fighter, this one!" he called up to his friend, and I prayed that the lock on the door would be one of those old unbreakable ones. I wasn't sure whether it was because it was in the middle of the night, and that I'd gotten up too fast, or if it was the adrenaline, but there was no mistaking that the sound I was hearing was my own heartbeat and blood running in my ears.
"I'm calling the house lady!" I called. Finally, I found the mail, and I dialed a number, but no one answered. Of course, they were probably only on duty during daytime. Luckily, the 24-hours security number was also listed, and they answered immediately. They told me that they'd send a security guard, and that he'd probably come by and ask me some questions. By the time we hung up, the guy had left, but I could still hear him knocking on a door somewhere else. I stayed up for half an hour reading, and I thought I heard someone talk into a walkie-talkie in the hallway. After a while, I dialed the 24-hours number again, and asked if they'd been here, and yes, they had! They had found the guy, who was visiting a friend, and had removed him. I described how he looked like, and they confirmed that it was indeed the same man. Then he asked if it was okay if they listed me as a witness, and I agreed.

I talked to Sara earlier, mentioning that I'd called security, and that the guy wouldn't be back. She said he'd entered her room!

I love 24-hour security numbers :)

http://mamajonni17.wikispaces.com/Symbolism+in+The+Raven

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar